Miami Liposuction Procedure
Miami’s Dr. Mendieta (M.D., F.A.C.S.), a board-certified plastic surgeon, specializes in a wide selection of liposuction procedures tailored to meet the desires of any individual.* The most frequently treated areas in women include the waistline, abdomen, outer thighs, inner thighs, buttocks, knees, ankles, and neckline. If your skin’s elasticity and tone are healthy and firm before undergoing liposuction, it will mold smoothly to the reduced fat cells for a firm contour.
Liposuction Before and After*
WHAT IS LIPOSUCTION?
Traditional liposuction consisted of a closed system suction cannula ( a thin metal tube) that is connected to a vacuum pump that then aspirates fat cell out of the body. These fat cells are collected in containers and disposed. This procedure utilizes tiny hidden incisions for introduction of the cannula, and is controlled by the operator via direct observation and palpation. In this procedure no skin is removed, therefore, THE SKIN MUST SHRINK by means of its intrinsic elastic properties. How well the skin shrinks will depend on the person’s skin quality and texture.*
Liposuction precisely removes and reduces the amount of fat cells in hard-to-exercise body parts. Depending on the shape, size, and volume of the original fat cells, and overall positive appearance change can be achieved. When diet and exercise fail to remove excess fat from various parts around the body, liposuction is a powerful weapon.*
- Liposuction can be used in the following body areas:
- Belly Fat
- Arms, Including Saggy Underarms
- Butts, Hips and Thighs
- Calf and Ankles
- Back, Chest and Breast Reduction
One of the top questions we get is “how much is liposuction”? The cost of liposuction ranges depending on the patient. In many cases liposuction can be combined with other procedures such as a tummy tuck, breast augmentation, breast lift, thigh lift, or a Mommy Makeover. If you would like to know the exact price of liposuction you can schedule either an in office consultation with Dr. Mendieta or a virtual consultation through Skype. There is a consultation fee of $100 which will be deducted from the cost of your procedure. You may also send in photos for Dr. Mendieta to evaluate and there is no fee for this.
- Q- WHAT IS THE RECOVERY PROCESS AFTER LIPOSUCTION?
- A- The patient goes home with a compression garment (or tape) covering the treated areas. Compression is advised for about a month as it helps reduce swelling and helps you achieve results more quickly.* Once pain and soreness decrease, it is frequently more comfortable to wear lycra or spandex exercise pants.* Bruising and swelling usually subside in 3-4 weeks.* The final result takes shape over 2-3 months*
- Q- WHEN CAN I RETURN TO WORK?
- A- After about one week you can return to work, however some patients have recuperated so well that they have been able to return after three days.* I would take at least one week off, and expect to feel normal after one month.* At first, your favorite clothes will not fit because you are swollen, the swelling will begin to decrease after two weeks and at this time you may begin to see some body changes.* However your clothes may still not fit properly. After about one month you will see the greatest improvement.* You will continue to see refinements and continue to see improvement for up to 3-6 months.*
- Q- AFTER LIPOSUCTION WILL MY FAT GROW IN OTHER AREAS?
- A- This is the most commonly asked question, and here is the story; from infancy to puberty new fat cells are made and deposited in different parts of the body, however, after puberty we can no longer make new cells (unless you become morbidly obese) therefore when you gain or loose weight, the cells you made early in life will get bigger or smaller. It is our individual genetic predisposition (you can blame the parents) that will place more cells in certain parts of the body. In men, it is usually the flank (Love handle) and lower abdomen. In women, it tends to be the lower abdomen and outer legs. After we perform liposuction we have removed the excess cells that were located in that particular area, and your body is now more proportionate.* If you gain weight (I hope not soon), since the body cannot make new cells the gain will be all over the body but it will be seen first in the areas that have more fat cells (usually areas not suctioned).* So now you can understand that when you have liposuction and you gain weight it is not that your fat is going somewhere else, it is that you are seeing the gain in the areas that have more fat cells.*
- Q- I WANT TO GET PREGNANT LATER IN LIFE, CAN I STILL HAVE CHILDREN?
- A- Liposuction is removing fat cells that are above the muscle layers only, and we can never remove all the fat cell that are in your body. The fatty layer that is being removed plays no part in childbearing.* A comparison would be to body builders, and very fit mothers that have a very low body fat percentage who are still able to have healthy babies.
- Q- WHAT HAPPENS TO MY SKIN AFTER LIPOSUCTION?
- A- The purpose of liposuction is to contour and reshape the body by removing fat and sculpting without major scarring.* In order to do this, we have to depend on the skin to retract and re-drape after the fat has been suctioned. Here is the issue, not everyone’s skin is the same and therefore we all respond differently.* It is during your consultation that Dr. Mendieta will evaluate your case and discuss your particular skin characteristics and type. As a general rule, if your skin quality is excellent and by this I mean there is no cellulite, no overhanging skin, wrinkling, stretch marks or looseness to the skin, then liposuction alone may be the best option.* However, if your skin quality is poor, this means you have lost elasticity and the skin will not retract as well, causing more wrinkling and skin irregularities.* In these cases something needs to be done with the skin, like removal (tummy tuck).*
- Q- WHAT OTHER PROCEDURES CAN BE PERFORMED AT THE SAME TIME?
- A- Additional procedures that may enhance the result are Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty), Breast Reduction, Breast Lift, Breast Augmentation, Thigh Lift, Buttock Lift, or Mommy Makeover.* The only caveat, is that by Florida regulations when we combine liposuction with any other procedure (such as the ones above), we are limited to only removing one liter of pure fat. If more fat is to be removed it can be done but the procedure needs to be performed in the hospital.
- Q- WHERE IS THE PROCEDURE PERFORMED?
- A- If you are healthy and we expect to remove 4,000 cc’s of fat or less, then, it is done in our surgical center located in Miami, Florida. If more than 4 liters of pure fat are to be removed, then by Florida regulations, the procedure needs to performed in a hospital. Liposuction can be performed very safely as long as certain parameters are adhered to.* The majority of patient seeking liposuction are young and in good health requiring only the removal of localized fat deposits.* Our guidelines for safety are based on your medical condition, weight status and the amount of fat to be removed:
- Q- IS LIPOSCULPTURE THE SAME AS LIPOSUCTION?
- A- The concept of suction lipolysis, more commonly known as liposuction, liposculpture, lipoplasty or suction lipectomy, originated in Europe in the late 1970’s. Liposuction is a procedure that can help sculpt the body by removing unwanted fat from specific areas.* Liposculpture is sculpting the body by removing fat, therefore, Liposuction and liposculpture are the same thing, it is just a play on words and liposculpture sounds much cooler.