Breast fat transfer uses your own fat to increase the size and improve the shape of your breasts for subtle, natural results. Since fat transfer utilizes patient-harvested fat, unwanted fat stores can be effectively eliminated from the body with fat transfer. Fat can be taken from areas that are prone to a flabby appearance, such as the abdomen, hips, thighs, and back. This procedure provides not only natural, youthful breast augmentation, but it also slims down stubborn fat deposits to enhance the contours of your physique.
Dr. Mendieta individually assesses the build and condition of each patient to develop a customized procedure tailored to their preferences and anatomy. You may consider fat transfer breast enhancement if you can relate to any of the following:
- You want your breasts to look and feel 100 percent natural
- You wish for a moderate increase in the size of your breasts, but you don’t like the look achieved with implants
- You prefer an easier and less painful procedure than augmentation with implants
- You struggle with excess body fat that is resistant to diet and exercise
- You are in good health
- You at least 18 years old
Breast Fat Transfer Procedure
During your initial consultation, Dr. Mendieta will discuss your options and develop a surgical plan that reflects your unique cosmetic goals and expectations. Breast fat transfer can be performed as a standalone procedure, or it can be combined with implants to hide implant edges and refine the shape of your breasts. This three-step procedure is accomplished in about two to three hours.
- Harvest: Fat is harvested from the selected donor sites using liposuction. A small incision is created in the target area, and a thin cannula is inserted to remove unwanted fat cells carefully.
- Purification: The fat cells that are removed are then purified to eliminate contaminants that could potentially compromise the success of the grafting process. The filtered fat is then placed in syringes for reinjection into the breasts.
- Transfer: A thin cannula is attached to the syringes, and the fat is meticulously injected into the breasts in thin layers until the desired augmentation is achieved.
After your breast fat transfer surgery, you should limit all physical activity, including intercourse and heavy lifting, for at least two weeks. Bruising and swelling may linger for up to three weeks, and you should wear the necessary sports bras and compression garments for four weeks.
You can slowly transition into your usual exercise routine two weeks after your procedure. Dr. Mendieta will give you a thorough recovery timeline during your breast fat transfer consultation.
The newly transferred fat cells graft to the existing breast fat to produce beautiful, conservative results. It may take between three and six months to notice the final outcome of a breast fat transfer procedure. Pregnancy, weight fluctuations, and aging may affect the appearance of the breasts over time.
Breast Fat Transfer FAQs
How much does breast fat transfer cost?
The cost of breast fat transfer depends on many factors, including the extent of correction required, geographical location, surgical fees, and anesthesia fees. An exact cost of your procedure will be calculated during your initial consultation with Dr. Mendieta.
What are the risks associated with breast fat transfer?
Most breast fat transfer patients do not experience significant complications following their breast fat transfer. However, all surgical procedures come with risks that may include:
- Tissue damage
- Unsatisfying results
- Impaired healing
- Adverse reaction to anesthesia
How will breast fat transfer affect future mammograms?
Some patients develop non-cancerous lumps in the breasts after breast fat transfer due to an abnormal reaction to fat cells that do not graft successfully. While older mammogram technologies may confuse these growths with cancer, technological advancements in digital mammography have made it easier to distinguish between cancerous and non-cancerous lumps.
Will I have scarring following my breast fat transfer procedure?
You may develop some nearly imperceivable scarring around your liposuction area if you choose to enhance your breasts with a breast fat transfer procedure. Patients who wish to combine breast fat transfer with implants can develop scars around the incision sites. Incisions are minuscule and generally placed in natural creases to hide their appearance. Any scarring that does form is likely to fade over time.