For patients looking to eliminate those final inches of stubborn fat or achieve the look of more defined contours and muscles, liposuction may do the trick.
Others may need more extensive work to eliminate excess skin and tighten the tissues, such as a tummy tuck.
While they are both considered body contouring (aka body sculpting) procedures, liposuction removes excess fat, and tummy tuck surgery addresses excess skin and the underlying support tissue.
Typically, liposuction is best suited for patients who only want a certain amount of contouring or fat removed, while tummy tuck is best suited for patients struggling with excess skin, flabby tissue, or more extensive cosmetic concerns.
So, which body contouring procedure is the best option for you?
What Are the Similarities Between Liposuction and a Tummy Tuck?
- Both create a firmer midsection
- Both address the abdominal area, although liposuction can be applied anywhere on the body
- The quality of results are dependent on how close a patient’s current weight is to their ideal weight
- Both procedures works well for men and women
- Patients may be looking to pursue similar cosmetic goals with each procedure, and because of this, they work excellently together
How Is Liposuction Different Than Tummy Tuck?
- Liposuction excellently removes excess localized fat to create a more slender and attractive body
- Liposuction is less invasive than a tummy tuck and has a shorter recovery period
- Liposuction can not combat sagging or loose skin
- Liposuction can not repair separated, torn, or weak abdominal muscles
How Is Tummy Tuck Different Than Liposuction?
- Tummy tuck surgery, also known as “abdominoplasty,” creates remarkable results for patients looking to produce a slimmer, flatter midsection with enhanced muscle tone
- Tummy tuck surgery combats sagging, loose skin, and stretch marks in the lower abdomen (as long as the stretch marks are on the area of skin that is removed)
- Tummy tuck surgery repairs weakened or separated abdominal muscles
- Personalized tummy tuck options are available in mini, full, extended, or circumferential tummy tuck techniques
What Are My Other Body Contouring Options?
Your abs are not the only area that might be impacted by aging, pregnancy, genetics, and substantial weight loss.
Body lifts are the perfect option for patients looking to address overhanging folds of skin throughout the lower body.
Want to Find Out More?
Dr. Mendieta will determine the most qualified approach to your body goals, evaluating your needs during a consultation. Please call (305) 860-0717 or fill out our online consultation form to obtain more information about the differences and similarities of our procedures.